Saturday, 1 May 2010
How To Communicate Effectively
This is the title of a real book. It's published in 1988, so it's like an archaic pre-internet artefact. Seeing as most of my communication is done through twitter, facebook, email or text message and none of these things existed when this book was written, I can definitely learn a thing or two from it. Exciting.
I stole it off Sociology Flatmate, who apparently has to write an essay about it or something. It's an improvement on the post-apocalyptic and consumerist nightmare novels I'm meant to be writing essays on, and furthermore the fact it's written in the form of Girl Talk-esque questionaires gives it an extra element of nostalgic fun.
So, I have compiled the best of the questionaire questions in this 96 page book so you kids can have a fun early evening activity and surmise absolutely nothing about how effectively you communicate.
1. Do you know what 'slow-blink' is and why it occurs?
2. Do you communicate impatience by drumming your fingers on the table when you are listening?
3. Do your glasses inhibit good eye communication?
4. Does your telephone voice differ from your speaking voice?
5. Can you recall the last time you looked up a new word in a dictionary?
6. Do you tell more than two jokes a week?
7. Do people tend to laugh when they are around you? (I really think this question should be accompanied with an 'if so, why?'